Virginia W. Barnhart
Virginia W. Barnhart graduated from Wake Forest University in 1980. Thereafter, she attended the University of Maryland School of Law where she received her J.D. in 1983, and served as an editor of the Maryland Law Review. Following law school, Ms. Barnhart joined the law firm of Miles & Stockbridge, later becoming a principal in the firm. There, she concentrated in complex commercial and employment litigation, acquiring extensive litigation experience in both state and federal courts on a local and national level.
In 1995, Ms. Barnhart was appointed as the County Attorney for Baltimore County, Maryland, where she remained actively involved in trial and appellate litigation and transactional law. In addition to enhancing her practice in commercial and employment law, she gained broad experience in governmental, land use, civil rights and constitutional law during her tenure with the County. As County Attorney, Ms. Barnhart served as chief legal advisor to the County Executive, County Council, and all County agencies. Ms. Barnhart also served as President of the Maryland Association of Counties, County Attorneys Section, and was appointed by the officers of the Maryland General Assembly to assist in the recodification of state land use and zoning laws.
At Treanor Pope & Hughes, Ms. Barnhart has continued her litigation, transactional and advisory practice. Ms. Barnhart has extensive experience in complex commercial and class action litigation, representing a variety of regional and national banks, lenders and servicers in state and federal courts and in arbitration forums across the nation in the defense of RESPA, TILA, HOEPA, FDCPA, FCRA and consumer protection claims. Ms. Barnhart also litigates construction and government contract disputes, and employment and civil rights cases on behalf of individuals and businesses before administrative agencies and in state and federal courts. Ms. Barnhart has broad experience in the litigation of claims involving violations of due process, equal protection and the deprivation of constitutional and pension rights.
Ms. Barnhart’s transactional and advisory practice involves the representation of local and regional businesses and individuals in corporate formation, restructuring and dissolution, construction and government contracting, the documentation and restructuring of loans, and the drafting and negotiation of employment and consulting agreements. Ms. Barnhart also provides transactional services and advice to local governments and contractors on water, wastewater, development and land use matters.
Apart from her law practice, Ms. Barnhart has taught paralegal studies, lectured on mortgage servicing practices, governmental, banking and evidentiary law, and served as a trial practice instructor for MICPEL. She is an avid sailor and lay minister as well.
- U.S. District Court for the District of Maryland
- U.S. District Court for the District of Columbia
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the 4th Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia
- U.S. Supreme Court
- University of Maryland School of Law, 1983 (Juris Doctor with honors)
- Wake Forest University, 1980 (B.A. Politics with honors)
Associations and Professional Recognition
- Maryland State Bar Association
- Baltimore County Bar Association
- Board Member, Well for the Journey
- Super Lawyers/Maryland 2013-2015
- In re Community Bank of Northern Virginia Mortgage Lending Practices Litigation, 954 F.Supp.2d 360 (W.D. Pa. 2013)
- Spaulding v. Wells Fargo Bank, N.A., 714 F.3d 769 (4th Cir. 2013)
- Farasat v. Wells Fargo Bank, N.A., 913 F.Supp.2d 197 (D.Md.2012)
- Poindexter v. Wachovia Mortg. Corp., 851 F.Supp.2d 121 (D.D.C. 2012)
- Bopp v. Wells Fargo Bank, N.A., 740 F.Supp.2d 12 (D.D.C. 2010)
- In re Thompson, 351 B.R. 402 (Bkrtcy. N.D. Miss. 2006)
- Putkowski v. Irwin Home Equity Corp., 423 F.Supp.2d 1053 (N.D. Cal. 2006)
- Bittner v. Huth, 162 Md.App. 745, 876 A.2d 157 (Md. App. 2005)
- Allno Enterprises, Inc. v. Baltimore County, MD, 10 Fed.Appx. 197 (4th Cir. Md. 2001)
- Singer v. Black & Decker Corp., 769 F.Supp. 911 (D.Md.1991)